Sunday, February 8, 2009

Basketball, Basketball, and More Basketball

We are half way through the boys basketball season and I must admit that I am one of "THOSE mom's" that yell and get mad at the ref's and yes the other teams coach. I realize that my boys are only in 3rd and 5th grades but I am a firm believer that you have to start teaching them from the beginning how to play the game correctly. There are a few boys in this league who seem to think that aggressive playing means that you play like a football player. The last time I checked tackling was a football move not a basketball move. I coach High School Volleyball and as a coach I realize that you can't teach your players everything but you can teach them respect for the game and for the other players!! I'm not sure some of these coaches care about anything but winning when at this age they should worry about TEACHING the kids how to play by the rules and that bad habits are HARD to break!! Don't get me wrong as a coach I LOVE to WIN but at these kids ages they need to learn to play the game correctly first and know that they are all WINNERS! I just think that the ref's and the coaches need to CALM the children down when they are getting out of control! As a coach I would remove my girls from the court if they acted the way some of these kids act! I hope that my kids are learning how NOT to act on the court from these other kids! And I would hope that their coaches would have enough sense to pull MY child out for playing out of control! My kids are very athletic and love to play. They are also extremely competitive like there mother!

Ok I quess I got that off my chest! For this week anyway!

I am very proud of my boys for going out there and playing their little hearts out and doing the BEST they can! I make it a point to tell them at the end of every game that they played awesome and that they just keep getting better week after week!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

go jennie go.
I agree too, since my son was one of the ones 'tackled' It was a crazy game.

Peggy said...

I can totally see you yelling at the ref! Go, Jennie!

Jodi said...

This reminds me of the days when my little brother played sports. My parents struggled with exactly the same thing! I'm not looking forward to it! Maybe Jonah will be a golfer or something safe like that!!

DeAnna said...

My first question is who are the coaches? Are they parents or kids with no children of their own? It is a known fact, you as a coach should know this first hand, that every parent thinks their child can do no wrong. You would think that as a grown up they realize that this is only just a game. Most people do not play it beyond high school in any organized form. The development of people skills, discipline, following orders, managing your emotions and working as a team are much more desirable traits to have as an adult than a win at all costs attitude.

With that said, my kids have yet to play any competitive sports. We are trying to encourage golf. Maybe the boys could get into golf as well and that is a sport they could play their whole life. It is good for business too, ask Wade, he loves to beat everyone when he goes out with his colleagues.

Good luck, and I have seen you yell at a basketball game. Frightening;)

Hansen Family said...

Oh here we go again. Just kidding you know I love you......