Sunday, March 1, 2009

In DESPERATE need of help!!

I have always tried to make my kids do some kind of chore, I have even made little magnets with chores and switched them around between each child. The Boys have always had to feed the dogs everynight and yet they still whine and complain everynight! Every monday they have to take out all of the garbages and take the can to the road, and yet they still fight and complain about who's turn it should be. For the last 6 months or more I have added the dishwasher to the list. I know that I should just let them do it there way but they just can't fit as many dishes as I can and so then i'm irritated that there is still a sink full of dishes. I know that it's my fault that we have not been completely successfull! So here I am asking forHELP! I know you all know how it feels to be the only one who seems to know how to do the laundry or load the dishwasher. Or maybe there is this HUGE stack of laundry to be folded and yet NOBODY see's it. What about all the crumbs on the floor that NOBODY put there! I am sooo tired of the whinning about who's turn it is or why do WE have to do it! I am tired of the "I don't have any clean pants" or "we don't have any clean spoons"! But yet nobody wants to HELP me! I have to admit that I do get mad and yell! I know I shouldn't and I have tried not to but I am sooo worn out! I have a job and work outside of the home too! PLEASE SEND HELP!

I need some better ideas for charts or rewards!

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I feel your pain sister! Something that has worked well for us in the past is I got 2 clear jars and filled one with marbles (you could use whatever) I put them in a place that was very visable. When someone did something without being asked they could move a marble to the empty jar. If I noticed that someone did something to help out, I would move one too. I made a big deal out of it. After we got the second jar filled we got to do something fun as a family, something we decided on together at the beginning. That way, everyone seemed to work together instead of "Why do I have to put it away, I didn't get it out!" I don't know if that would work for your kids, where they are older, but it sure worked for us! (after awhile the novelty wore off and I had to try something different!)

Dennis said...

How about hiring a maid, cook, laundry lady etc. That would solve the problem of "getting it done" Oh, you want the kids to learn responsibility and to work together to make a home run smoothly. Keep positive and keep working at it.
Jenny I need your email address. I don't know here it went.
Thank you,
Love ya.JUNE

Peggy said...

Oh my goodness. I am so there too! If you figure it out, please let me know!

DeAnna said...

I have no words of wisdom. You have described my life rather accurately. What worked for me as a kid just isn't cutting it with my boys. Wade seems to think that all individuals work better when there is a carrot dangling over their head rather than a punishment given. My kids are younger than yours and want to watch TV when they get home from school, but by being consistent and allowing no TV until their homework and practicing piano/violin is done they are getting better at just doing it. With that said there is plenty of yelling and frustration at my home as well. I'm working on keeping all emotion out of the discipline. I'll let you know how it works. The last thing I want is my kids to yell every time they get frustrated.